Walking Group Guide
Guide our senior walking group around downtown San Diego for a 45-60 minute walk on Thursday mornings. Lead the group along a predetermined route while enjoying the scenic and historic sites of downtown!
Location: Start and end at the Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center, 1525 Fourth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101. Walking route will vary.
- Keep the group together and on the predetermined route
- Oversee group member safety, with the help of other volunteers (i.e. our Walking Group Champions)
- Do your best to ensure the walk is an enjoyable experience for all group members
- Bonus: Share interesting facts and historical background about sites and attractions along the walking route
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- Complete a volunteer application and pass a background check
- Excellent navigation skills
- Excellent customer service and public speaking skills
- Ability to walk continuously for one hour
- Dependable, responsible, and friendly
- Enjoys spending time with seniors and exploring the city
- Bonus: Knowledge of Downtown San Diego attractions, layout, and history
- Every Thursday 8:30am-11:00am for a minimum of 3 months
- Walking group leaves at 9:00am and returns by 10:30am.
Training and Support Provided:
- The Volunteer and Activities Team will design a rotation of 4-5 scenic walking routes. We welcome your input and suggestions.
- Preliminary training and ongoing support will be provided as needed from the Volunteer and Activities Team.