Activities and Volunteer Manager
Job Title: Activities and Volunteer Manager
Reports To: Director of Community Engagement + Government Relations
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Department: Development and External Affairs
Hours Per Day: 8 hours
The Activities and Volunteer Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, implementing, and overseeing activities that promote the social, physical, and emotional well-being of seniors at various sites associated with Serving Seniors. This position is responsible for all aspects of our activities program, including securing/distributing supplies, taking attendance, ensuring facility rules are followed, promoting/advertising the activities, managing incidents of conflict, and the delegation of these tasks when appropriate/advised. Activities may include educational, music, art, crafts, drama, and exercise programs and may be onsite or remote. They will also be responsible for maintaining working relationships with partners who offer activities at our various sites and for the management of data related to activity programming and participation.
Given that many of our activities and operations rely on volunteer participation, the Activities and Volunteer Manager will also be responsible for coordinating, engaging, and managing volunteers for the organization. This collaborative position works closely with all departments including, but not limited to, the development and communications, the health and social services, and nutrition teams.
- Develops new client activities and events as needed
- Maintains accurate activity calendars and schedules of upcoming activities
- Ensures that staff/site managers are aware of all upcoming activities
- Ensures that clients and local senior community are aware of all upcoming activities
- Ensures that activities and events are sensitive to the needs of clients (i.e., culturally, age-appropriate, contemporary, etc.)
- Creates written communications such as letters, flyers, schedules as appropriate
- Establishes a formal process to assess the abilities and strengths/weaknesses of our activity programing
- Evaluates popularity and success of current activities and makes changes as appropriate
- Develops and manages incentives that generate senior client participation
- Works with social, civic, and local organizations to build and develop partnerships, where appropriate to recruit activities and/or seniors
- Identifies community outreach opportunities, and represents Serving Seniors at community outreach fairs when appropriate
- Assists with receiving, organizing, and distributing in-kind donations for Serving Seniors clients.
- Maintains an activities database and other administrative tasks
- Assists with volunteer coordination, not limited to recruitment, placement, management, recognition, and retention of volunteers
- Maintains and secures partnerships with community organizations to facilitate volunteer engagement
- Maintains a volunteer database and other administrative tasks
**Other duties as assigned**
- Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
- Some database and program management experience preferred
- Minimum of 2 years related experience (hospitality, coordinating events, activities and/or volunteers in either a non-profit, corporate, or public sector setting)
- Experience working with older adults or other vulnerable populations preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams) and Google Drive (or other cloud-based platforms)
- Demonstrated ability to conduct one's self in a calm, professional, and tactful manner when dealing with the public and/or tenuous situations
- Unflinching customer service
- Effective time management
- Proficient in record keeping methods applicable to this position
- Presentation Skills – ability to create flyers, posters, and visual presentations
- Cultural competency – demonstrated ability to have successful, positive interactions with diverse groups of people
- Ability to effectively manage and delegate a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities
- Ability to work productively and independently in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Proactive and problem-solving
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with an ambitious team
Other Competencies Include:
- Telephone Etiquette
- Consistent follow through
- Interest in organizing (i.e., in kind donations, supplies, etc.)
- Professionalism in the face of adverse situations
- Must maintain personal cell phone for work-related purposes
- Must have reliable transportation available for work-related purposes, a valid California driver’s license, and proof of automobile insurance
- Requires ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays as job duties may require
Physical Demands & Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl or push/move heavy items. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. The employee may need to sit or stand for up to three hours at a time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to normal risks of working in an office environment (e.g., risks due to heavy computer use). The employee is also subject to the risks of working with diverse clientele that have varying physical and mental health.
To apply, please fill out the online application here.
Serving Seniors offers competitive salaries, a generous PTO package, paid holidays, and a retirement savings plan to all team members. Health, dental, vision, life insurance, legal insurance, FSA, and more are offered to qualifying staff. Serving Seniors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or expression, age, or disability.