Communications & Special Events Coordinator
Job Title: Communications & Special Events Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Philanthropy
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Development & External Affairs
Working under the direction of the Director of Philanthropy, the Communications & Special Events Coordinator is responsible for a variety of duties that support and contribute to Serving Seniors’ overall development and external affairs efforts with key functions in three areas: communications, fundraising and events. Some frontline fundraising is required.
COMMUNICATIONS AND FUNDRAISING
- Provide administrative support for the management and implementation of communications strategies to support the agency’s fundraising goals: social media strategy and plan, fundraising campaigns, all digital marketing, traditional marketing, and public relations activities.
- Provide clerical and administrative support in all aspects of the Annual Giving program.
- Prepare written copy of agency collateral materials including e-blasts, special event invitations, blogs, fundraising reports, client stories, agency brochures, fundraising letters, flyers, feature articles, and other written communications.
- Provide content and design support: capture and edit photos and videos, create and update basic branded social media graphics, flyers, email templates, and other pieces using Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, or other design tools.
- Participate in developing messaging and content that is consistent, cohesive and aligns with brand guidelines and agency priorities.
- Provide administrative support for the timely update and content management of the website and communications/editorial calendars.
- Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of shared drive files for Communications and Marketing including but not limited to client impact story database and photo bank.
- Work with Director of Philanthropy to track, report and analyze social media, website and email data/metrics.
- Regularly seek opportunities to learn and adapt to current and upcoming industry trends and best practices.
- Assist with all Development & External Affairs Department special events primarily focused on donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Provide support for all aspects of the agency’s signature annual gala, including but not limited to committee meeting preparations and follow up, volunteer training and coordination, on-site coordination, auction item procurement, working with vendors, post-event activities and wrap up, and other event-related duties.
- Participate in program development and preparation for all events.
- Provide administrative support for board ad hoc committees as needed.
- Update donor records in database relevant to events.
- Liaison with outside event planner as needed.
- Periodically assist with senior client events/activities, volunteer recognition events, and public affairs events as needed.
DONOR RELATIONS AND STEWARDSHIP
- Participate in all donor stewardship activities as set forth in the Donor Stewardship Plan.
- Lead tours at Wellness Center for the public.
- Provide back up support for the Development Officer for the donor database administration and gift acknowledgement and processing.
*Other duties and tasks may be assigned as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, or related field
- 2+ years work experience in either the nonprofit or corporate sector with focused duties in communications and/or special events
- To be considered for this position, candidates must have proven experience in written communications and hands-on experience with events coordination.
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent written communication skills
- Website and graphic design skills highly desired
- Social media experience highly desired
- Photography and videography skills preferred
- Adobe photo and video editing skills preferred
- Self-starter and ability to work independently, multi-task, and set priorities to meet deadlines
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent customer service and verbal skills
- Ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with staff, board members, prospective and current donors, volunteers, clients, the media and the public
- Ability to use good judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to maintain professionalism and diplomacy when interacting with various constituents.
- Ability to travel to meetings throughout San Diego county and flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
- Team player who can work cooperatively with all staff toward common goals
- Experience with fundraising software or similar CRM software
- Must maintain personal cell phone for work-related purposes.
- Must have reliable transportation available for work-related purposes, a valid California driver’s license, and proof of automobile insurance.
- Requires ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays as job duties demand
Physical and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to normal risks of working in an office environment (e.g., risks due to heavy computer use).
To apply, please fill out the online application here.
Serving Seniors offers competitive salaries, a generous PTO package, paid holidays, and a retirement savings plan to all team members. Health, dental, vision, life insurance, legal insurance, FSA, and more are offered to qualifying staff. Serving Seniors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or expression, age, or disability.