Community Outreach Case Manager (Mandarin Speaking), Part-Time
Job Title: Community Outreach Case Manager
Reports To: Integrated Services Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Part-time $22.00-$24.00/hr
Department: Health & Social Services
The Community Outreach Case Manager reports to the Integrated Services Manager and works independently, as well as collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team. To ensure excellent service provision to Chinese-speaking older adults 60 and over, this candidate will demonstrate a commitment to the values, vision, and mission of Serving Seniors and will need fluency in English and Mandarin to meet the needs of our Mandarin-speaking clients.
Who We Are
Established in 1970, Serving Seniors helps San Diego County’s low-income seniors overcome poverty through whole-person, wraparound support including meals, housing, health and social services, and enrichment activities. We work at numerous sites across the county and in the homes of hundreds of homebound seniors. Our flagship Gary & Mary West Senior Wellness Center in downtown San Diego is unlike any other senior center in the nation. Bringing together a range of supportive services under one roof, the Senior Wellness Center operates 365 days a year and offers two floors of integrated care, including health and social services, housing navigation, enrichment activities, lifelong learning, a Cyber Café and linkage to over 25 onsite direct service partners, including a senior dental center. Last fiscal year, we provided over 1,400,000 meals and coordinated services to 6,800 older adults.
Our Mission: Helping seniors in poverty live healthy and fulfilling lives.
Our Vision: All seniors, regardless of income, are able to thrive, engage in their communities, lead purposeful lives, and have a place they call home.
Our Core Values:
Advocacy - Acknowledging and supporting the needs of older adults at the individual, community, and policy-level.
Person-Centered - Seeing the whole person, providing coordinated support, and treating all with dignity and respect.
Integrity – Representing the values of honesty, trust, and transparency within our community.
Compassion & Empathy – Approaching our work with a heartfelt desire to better understand and serve.
Impact – Measuring and evaluating programs to ensure that for every dollar invested, there is a positive impact in the lives of those we serve.
Inclusive – Promoting an environment that nurtures differences and allows individuals to be their entire, authentic selves.
Top Workplace Award Recipient
Serving Seniors has received the San Diego Union-Tribune’s Top Workplaces Award nine out of the ten years the awards program has taken place, and most recently for four years in a row from 2019-2022.
· Serves as a liaison between Serving Seniors and other local senior housing communities assisting the Chinese community, providing information on available services at the Gary and Mary West Senior Wellness Center as well as providing direct assistance as needed.
· Conducts outreach within the Center to inform and educate older adults on the relevant subject matter.
· Provides translation assistance for lunch announcements, presentations, activities, and other programming opportunities for the Chinese community.
· Facilitates the coordination of Chinese-speaking volunteers, in conjunction with the Activities & Volunteers Department.
Represents Serving Seniors at community meetings specific to the Chinese-speaking older adult population.
Provides advocacy and outreach to the community and fellow stakeholders.
· Facilitates senior support or other group formations.
· Updates and manages community resource listings.
· Develops and implements a plan of care for Chinese-speaking clients’ unmet needs, including supportive referrals to other community-based agencies.
· Manages a caseload dependent upon both walk-in and appointment hours.
· Conducts Universal Senior Assessments and Home Delivered Meal (HDM) reassessments as applicable.
· Provides information on community health and welfare resources and acts as a liaison between community service providers and clients, including referrals to Serving Seniors Health Educators.
· Completes efficient, timely, and accurate charting and notation of client efforts and referrals.
· Assists in fundraising activities as applicable.
· Complies with budgetary guidelines.
· Enters data in a timely manner to maintain accurate weekly status reports.
· Some or all of the above-listed points may need to be conducted in Mandarin in addition to English.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, preferably in social work or gerontology
· Previous experience in a social work setting with older adults preferred
· Mandarin fluency
· Excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
· Bilingual fluency in English and Mandarin
· Excellent listening skills and ability to establish rapport
· Strong commitment to the ethics and purpose of the social work field as defined by NASW
· Strongly defined sense of professional boundaries
· Ability to maintain professional capacity during crisis situations
· Demonstrates ability to use good judgment and maintain confidentiality
· Ability to work independently, multi-task, and set priorities to meet deadlines
· Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, exercise sound judgment and decision-making
· Ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external partners
· Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Candidate expected to possess high level of competency in the following:
Oral Communication Skills
Written Communication Skills
Attention to Detail
Professionalism & Tact
Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, talk, and hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to normal risks of working in an office environment (e.g., risks due to heavy computer use).
Why our current employees enjoy working for us:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package. Serving Seniors pays 100% of employees medical & dental coverage. (For employees who qualify for benefits)
We offer paid holidays and paid time off to all employees
We offer a floating holiday to all employees
We offer up to a 3% match on 403(b) retirement plans, to all employees
We’ve been voted a best place to work for over three years in San Diego
We are a stable company with over 50 years of experience
$22.00 an hour
To apply, please fill out the online application here.