Home Delivery Meals Driver - Potiker Family Senior Residence
Job Title: Food Service Driver
Reports To: Logistics Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Full-Time,
Who We Are
Established in 1970, Serving Seniors helps San Diego County’s low-income seniors overcome poverty through whole-person, wraparound support including meals, housing, health and social services, and enrichment activities. We work at numerous sites across the county and in the homes of hundreds of homebound seniors. Our flagship Gary & Mary West Senior Wellness Center in downtown San Diego is unlike any other senior center in the nation. Bringing together a range of supportive services under one roof, the Senior Wellness Center operates 365 days a year and offers two floors of integrated care, including health and social services, housing navigation, enrichment activities, lifelong learning, a Cyber Café and linkage to over 25 onsite direct service partners, including a senior dental center. Last fiscal year, we provided over 1,400,000 meals and coordinated services to 6,800 older adults.
Our Mission: Helping seniors in poverty live healthy and fulfilling lives.
Our Vision: All seniors, regardless of income, are able to thrive, engage in their communities, lead purposeful lives, and have a place they call home.
Our Core Values:
Advocacy - Acknowledging and supporting the needs of older adults at the individual, community, and policy-level.
Person-Centered - Seeing the whole person, providing coordinated support, and treating all with dignity and respect.
Integrity – Representing the values of honesty, trust, and transparency within our community.
Compassion & Empathy – Approaching our work with a heartfelt desire to better understand and serve.
Impact – Measuring and evaluating programs to ensure that for every dollar invested, there is a positive impact in the lives of those we serve.
Inclusive – Promoting an environment that nurtures differences and allows individuals to be their entire, authentic selves.
Top Workplace Award Recipient
Serving Seniors has received the San Diego Union-Tribune’s Top Workplaces Award nine out of the ten years the awards program has taken place, and most recently for four years in a row from 2019-2022
Under the general supervision of the Logistics Manager, drivers operate a company van or other light vehicles such as a 20-foot box truck in the pickup and delivery of cold or frozen meals and supplies to home-bound clients. Drivers must be safe while out on delivery routes and observant of all relevant posted signs and rules. Drivers must ensure accurate loading of all meals daily, and may occasionally be asked to come in early or stay late for meetings, additional help in the department, etc. Additionally, drivers build positive meaningful rapport with clients, as they will see clients frequently while on their assigned delivery route.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
· Perform a variety of routine duties related to the loading and delivery of meals for home-delivered and congregate feeding sites
· Delivers food to seniors on assigned routes.
· Picks up and transports food from an off-site storage facility to on-site storage.
· As a mandated reporter for Elder Abuse, report any suspicious circumstances or suspected abuse to Adult Protective Services
· Maintain routine records related to delivery and food service duties.
· Performs daily safety inspection of vehicles and operates vehicles to and from the central kitchen.
· Obeys traffic laws and observes defensive driving practices.
· Wash, fuel, and perform minor preventive maintenance of assigned vehicles.
· Other duties as assigned.
· High School diploma or equivalent
· A valid California Driver's License and clean driving record
· Minimum of 2 - 4 years of related experience; AA/AS degree in lieu of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Operation of light vehicles and basic vehicle maintenance procedures
· Obeys all applicable signs of the road, as well as engages in safe, defensive driving techniques
· Basic record-keeping methods applicable to delivery functions
· Sanitation and safety practices in the transport, handling, and preparation of food
· Cleaning and sanitation methods used in a food service environment
· Food storage methods
· Basic arithmetic (i.e. addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division)
· Positive interactions with diverse groups of people
· Proactive and problem-solving
· Ability to use good judgment and maintain confidentiality
· Communicates and cooperates with other drivers at the site for efficient daily operations
· Ability to work with challenging clients and provide positive outcomes.
· Experience working with older adults preferred.
· Experience working in delivery preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Onsite position
- Position is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 30 pounds.
To apply, please fill out the online application here.